Thursday, September 22, 2005

Obsession

Although it had the misfortune of being released in the same year as Carrie, Obsession is a hell of a film. I'd venture to say it's my favorite of director Brian DePalma's that I've yet seen. Vertigo is one of my favorites, and I often love films that tackle similar themes- 2046, Mulholland Dr., etc. Obsession could almost be considered a remake, but it introduces an element that takes the story in a different direction and gives it a unique identity. Strangely enough, the ending reminded me of Oldboy; I wouldn't be surprised if Chan-wook Park had drawn inspiration from this film.

Aesthetically it's DePalma's most mature and beautiful film. Vilmos Zsigmond (who was present at the screening and talked about the film) used innovative film treatment techniques and oblique angles to achieve the surreal atmosphere that is sustained throughout. Paul Schrader, who lists Vertigo as one of his 10 favorite films, keeps the dialogue simple and jarring when it needs to be. An underrated classic of the '70s.

4 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, Blogger Nate said...

On Zsigmond's cinematography—what exactly do you mean by innovative film treatment techniques? I noticed a gauzy, hazy coating over some of the shots (especially during the early scenes), and thought it complimented the film's dreamlike quality quite effectively. Many films from the seventies employ this aesthetic. I miss it greatly.

 
At 2:51 AM, Blogger William said...

Specifically what he did was flashed the film in the opening sequence to soften the lighting and make the actors look younger. For the rest of the film, he used diffusion to achieve that surreal look. Although it wasn't exactly a new technique by the time Obsession was made, Zsigmond was one of the first DPs to use flashing with McCabe and Mrs. Miller.
But the super-soft lighting is typical of DePalma's late '70s work in general.

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger KAMN! said...

just to clarify: flashing (even inanimate objects) is illegal in most states.

and here i was all excited there was some hand tinting or something. *sigh*

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger Clint said...

I agree. I think this is easily one of De Palma's most underrated films. Though he made so many thoroughly enjoyable films during this period that it's hard for me to decide which one I like most. I think I lean towards films like "The Fury" or "Blow Out". But you've just got to smile with that shot towards the end when the camera circles the two of them over and over again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home