Thursday, October 20, 2005

Read My Lips

This is one of the most mature, sophisticated films I've ever seen. Based on this film and The Beat My Heart Skipped, I'd say that director Jacques Audiard is a great visual stylist, excellent writer, and gets good performances. But it's something more about the two films that's difficult to pin down. I'd hesitate to call it "realism", but he basically manages to make non-movies that never seem self-conscious and are never less than completely engrossing. He rarely uses the kind of dialogue and action that most writers rely on to keep things interesting, keep things moving; and yet, he wraps enough of a narrative around his complex character studies to generate tension and conflict.

Both of the leads are perfect for the roles. I read a review in which the critic complained that the actress playing the woman was too attractive to be receiving insults throughout the film. But that's not the point- the great thing about the actress is that dejected, uncomfortable expression she always has on her face (it works great in The Beat My Heart Skipped too).

Along with Jeuneut, Audiard seems to be the most unique, distinctive director working in France these days.

3 Comments:

At 10:44 PM, Blogger Nate said...

This is one of my favorite films of the decade (so far). I went to see The Beat That My Heart Skipped just because Audiard's name was attached. I guess I was disappointed with The Beat partly because the element of Hitchcockian suspense (a powerful force in Read My Lips) was largely missing.

I also fell in love with these (vaguely unlovable) characters, and I'm not sure why. In fact, most of this film's power is a mystery to me.

I agree that Audiard is one of the best directors around. One thing that sometimes gets overlooked is his absolute mastery of the handheld camera. Wouldn't you agree? The cinematography is very, very intimate, and has a way of plunging you right into the characters' minds. It's almost as if the camera is an extension of their emotional state.

 
At 2:13 AM, Blogger William said...

Yes, yes. He and his D.P. manage to get all the good things about handheld camera movement without the distracting self-consciousness that usually occurs in low budget films.

 
At 12:26 AM, Blogger KAMN! said...

William said...

Yes, yes. He and his D.P. manage to get all the good things about handheld camera movement without the distracting self-consciousness that usually occurs in low budget films.



ok what r u even saying here, cuz i dont even know. i think u r crazy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home